With the amount of Ashgourds that grow for Texan summer, I was always on hunt for new recipes. This Puli kootu has been taught to me by my mother-in-law. It is easy, healthy, spicy and very low in calories.
Kootu is similar to dhal except the vegetables are more than lentils. It is one of a common side for south indian households.
- 3 lb Ashgourd or Pooshani
- 1 cup Chana dhal or Tuvar dhal cooked
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 3 cups Tamarind water
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard (Temper Ingredients )
- 5 count Dry Red chillies (Temper Ingredients )
- 1 tsp Urad Dhal (Temper Ingredients )
- 2 tsp Channa dhal (Temper Ingredients )
- Handful Coriander seeds (Roast and Grind )
- Handful Channa Dhal (Roast and Grind )
- 4 Dry Red Chillies (Roast and Grind )
- 1 tsp Hing (Roast and Grind )
- Boil large cut ashgourd or pooshani in turmeric and tamarind water. I usually place in a 3 litre cooker with 2 Whistles. The ashgourd must be submerged in water but don't add more water. It can get mushy and lose shape.
- Add cooked tuvar dhal and let it boil 10 mins stovetop.
- Once consistency is formed. remove and temper.
- Can be had as a side dish to rice.